Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What does the Atonement mean to You?

Today I was searching around for a topic, I started looking into the Atonement and came across an address that was given at Brigham Young University Women’s Conference on May 5, 2006 entitled "What does the Atonement mean to you"? this is the question that got me thinking the questions, what does the Atonement mean to me? what does it mean to others? what does it mean to you that is reading this? Well I'll tell you what it means to me, because it means a lot to me in my life.
Well for me it all begins at the start, With the creation of Gods plan, even as he told Moses, For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. God wanted us to be able to become like him, and to be able to be like our Heavenly Father we have to go though the same things he himself did, “As man now is, God once was; as God is now man may be.” quote from Lorenzo Snow. That way was to come to earth and receive bodies, through our Heavenly Fathers Plan. Before we were born on Earth we lived as spirits with our Heavenly Father, we did not have bodies at that time. Everyone who has lived on Earth were all there, including Jesus Christ or better known at that time as Jehovah. Another Son of God was there, his Name was Lucifer, he was against Gods plan and take place as savior and the Glory for it, he wanted it so that everyone could come back to him someday. But his plan rejected the our agency, and there would have been need for an Atonement, for we wouldn't have been able to do right or wrong for we would of had no choice in the matter. He became known as Satan.
Over the next little while Gods plan 
was formed and the Earth  was created and the first man and woman, aka Adam and Eve, and well you know the rest. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to
condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. That is what the Atonement is all about, the sacrifice that he made for us. he was the only one who could do it, because we could not do it for ourselves, as stated the Savior in John 10:17-18 which reads, 17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. 18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father. He loved us so much that he went through all he went through, did this so we could all have a chance in this world of being able to return to our Heavenly Father someday.
What happens at garden of Gethsemane and subsequently afterwards is one of the most incredible periods in human history.  In the Doctrine and Covenants a revelation was given to Joseph Smith where the Lord is Speaking 18 Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink—. He Bled from Every Pore For Me; wow, I shake at the thought of such a thing. For us he put himself through unimaginable pain, he felt everything and anything that we would go though in this life, the sins and mistakes in this Life. he knows exactly who we are and what we are going though.
I am so thankful to have this knowledge so I can share it with others on my mission, it has brought such happiness to my life and I know how much it can help others.
So going back to the Start of this post, talking about what the Atonement means to you, I want all that read this post to think of the question I stated above. I want them to seriously ponder this statement and to truly find out for themselves the impact that the Atonement has in your lives. "What does the Atonement mean to You"?

No comments:

Post a Comment