Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Smoking: One Heck of an Addiction


Addictions come to just about everyone and everything in life, one such addiction is smoking, I have seen alot of people that have had this addiction in there life. But I think the video below takes the cake. It is one of the most unusual videos that I have ever seen, It shows how binding an addiction can be in ones life. although it is quite funny it shows how terrifyingly real it is.



I want to also compare smoking with a story that is found in the Book of Mormon. In the Book of Alma it tells of the missionary Sons of Mosiah, they wanted to go preach the word of god to the Lamanites, who hated all Nephites and who were delighted in Murder and Bloodshed. Before they had the word of God preached unto them that was a way of life, this love of murder and bloodshed were their addiction. Although quite a contrast to smoking, for some it is so hard to give up, as was the Lamanites addiction was. Once the Lamanites were converted they made the decision to Bury their weapons of war, not a easy task but one that was needed in order for them to progress, it was something that they had been living with for their whole lives. That they would no longer take up their weapons of war in fear that if they did so again they would not be able to stop, so they would bury their weapons of war to never be stained by the blood of men (see Alma 24:17).
 18 And this they did, it being in their view a testimony to God, and also to men, that they never would use weapons again for the shedding of man’s blood; and this they did, vouching and covenanting with God, that rather than shed the blood of their brethren they would give up their own lives; and rather than take away from a brother they would give unto him; and rather than spend their days in idleness they would labor abundantly with their hands.
 19 And thus we see that, when these Lamanites were brought to believe and to know the truth, they were firm, and would suffer even unto death rather than commit sin; and thus we see that they buried their weapons of peace, or they buried the weapons of war, for peace.

It is possible as is any addiction, I have been there and have been through all that, it is definitely a hard hard thing to do to get through that phase of getting rid of an addiction, but I know it is possible. being in that state it was just like I had started to dig a hole for myself until the point it was so deep that I could not climb out, and there was no one to help me, but god. I had decided to put my trust in him and let him guide my path, I don't know where I would be without him, I could have been doing so many bad things in my life, but he decided to snatch me up and throw me into a whole new situation that I Never thought I would be here in the state of New York preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ, it certainly feels like a foreign land. It's changing my life inside and out. I know there is a way out for everyone that has their little problems such as smoking


  

No comments:

Post a Comment